Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority was founded by seven Jewish women, Helen Phillips, Ida Beck, Rose Gerstein, Augustina "Tina" Hess, Lee Reiss, Rose Salmowitz and Stella Strauss, at Barnard College in New York City on October 24, 1909. Their goal was to foster lifelong friendship and sisterhood, academics, social involvement and community service while providing a home away from home for their members. "It was her [Helen Phillips'] idea and her persistence more than anything else that brought Alpha Epsilon Phi into existence," one founder wrote. "I sometimes think that some of those ties were more necessary to Helen than to the others in this group because Helen had no mother and no sisters or brothers, and to her a group of adopted sisters was more of a need and had more significance."
The dream that was born in a dorm room at Barnard College in 1909 continues to succeed, prosper and thrive on over 50 college and university campuses nationwide. AEPhi welcomes with open arms hundreds of new members each year and seeks not only to live up to the ideals and goals of its original founders, but also to exceed them.
Throughout the past century, Alpha Epsilon Phi has built upon the foundation set by our seven Jewish founders. Today we are a Jewish sorority, but not a religious organization, with membership open to all college women, regardless of religion, who honor, respect and appreciate our Jewish identity and are comfortable in a culturally Jewish environment.
In 2006, a new student organization was formed at Texas A&M called Aggie Jewish Women (AJW) with the intent of establishing the first-ever Jewish sorority on the campus. In its first 3 years, AJW blossomed, and by 2010, the group was able to petition the Collegiate Panhellenic Council (CPC) for membership in order to provide a place for Jewish girls within Greek Life at Texas A&M. That spring, AJW was accepted by the CPC as an Associate Member, and AJW was re-named Zeta Beta Sigma, or ZBΣ. In the spring of 2014, Zeta Beta Sigma received approval from the CPC to seek National recognition. In March of 2015, CPC voted unanimously to have Alpha Epsilon Phi join the Texas A&M Community. After two years as a colony, in November of 2017 we received our National Charter and became the Beta Xi chapter of Alpha Epsilon Phi.
did you know?
Motto: Multa Corda Una Causa (Many Hearts, One Purpose)
Symbol: The Columns
Mascot: The Giraffe
Colors: Green and White
Flower: Lily of the Valley
Founded: 1909 at Barnard College
Texas A&M Colonization: March 23, 2015
Texas A&M Chartering: November 19, 2017
Phi National Website: http://www.aephi.org/